.

January 25, 2010

A Slice of Pie

If there is one movie I remember watching from childhood, it is National Velvet. I adored this movie as a child and I think lines still stick with me today such as Donald Brown's, "I was sick all night!". So when I came across it at the library the other day, I knew I just had to watch it and relive the memories...and it was even better than I had made it out in my mind! What a fantastic film! Sure it's a bit cheesy at times, but if you look at the acting, the actors (Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney who is still acting at his 90 years of age!), and the cheekiness of clash between Mrs. Brown's wisdom and Mr. Brown's practical ways, it really makes for a wonderful movie.

The costuming and scenery is also quite beautiful. I have always loved Velvet's wardrobe! And she is such a beauty!

Sure her heart may flutter for just a horse, but it's this passion that drives her to win the Grand National..


To end this post, a quote from Mrs. Brown: "That'll be a dispute to the end of time, Mr. Brown: whether it's better to do the right thing for the wrong reason or the wrong thing for the right reason."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never apologize! National Velvet is fantastic!
And you should really give credit to your older sister, whose horse fetish led you to this wonderfully classic film.
Next you must watch My Friend Flicka. And read all the Pony Pals and Saddle Club books...

- Dee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...