.

December 14, 2011

Top 5: Favourite Things About the Holidays!

Hurrah! I am officially on holidays! I finished my last exam this morning and am now fully in holiday mode. So to celebrate, I would like to share with you my favourite things about the Christmas season (as it is one of my favourite celebrations! I think Easter and Valentine's day are in close comparison...) I've compiled some images/videos/recipes to go along with the list, so I hope you enjoy!

1. Celebrating the Saviour's birth! THE most important part of the season and the reason why we celebrate! He is the basis of Christianity and (as I heard in church on Sunday) the definition of reality:
"In the beginning was the Word (meaning Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men." John 1:1-4



2. Listening to Christmas Albums. I have a few favourites that I listen to every Christmas, without fail. My all time favourite album is "Home For Christmas" by Amy Grant! It brings back nostalgic memories of Christmas of years past. This year though, I have been enjoying:
        a. "A Very She & Him Christmas" by She & Him- itunes download
b. "Born Is the King" by Hillsong- itunes download
        c. "Silent Night" by Timbre (magical, enchanting sounds!). The album is available for FREE 
    download on bandcamp!

3. Doing Christmas Crafts. Christmas crafting is such fun and so relaxing, especially when you don't have any exams left to worry about! I can't wait to try out making some of the crafts I've found on Pinterest such as these lovely ornaments from A Field Journal


4. Doing Christmas baking/ eating sweets. I am all about anything sweet. I've got a sweet tooth like no other! I especially love any baked goods that I can whip up over the holidays. I'm excited to try out these Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies from The Cooking Photographer. And why not make a little Apple Cider to go with, like this recipe from A Beautiful Mess blog:


Needed: 4-5 cups apple juice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 3 ounces spiced rum (optional), cinnamon sticks and apple slices to garnish.
In a small pot heat the apple juice, spices and rum (if using) over low/medium heat. Stir often while the mixture is heating so the spices will blend into the juice (you don't want any spice clumps). Once it's hot pour into two mugs and garnish with apple slices and cinnamon sticks.

5. And finally, I LOVE all of the outdoor fun in the snow! I can't wait to go, sledding, cross-country skiing, and skating! Hopefully, there is a big snowfall before Christmas. My fingers are crossed!
Picture from: Dirty Pretty Things

Wow. That was a loaded post. I guess it makes up for all of the times I haven't posted in the last few weeks! What are your top 5 favourite things about Christmas?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...