.

January 29, 2014

We Sell Seashells by the Seashore.

Ok. We don't actually sell seashells (even just typing that sentence gets my fingers in a knot!). But we did go a-walking by the seashore the other day. It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon and I think everyone in Vancouver decided it was time to leave the cozy comfort of their city abodes. I forget so often that we live right by the sea. As in, it's a 30 min walk away from me. And somehow I still manage to forget. But I love the sea...
I miss a lot of things about the prairies. I miss the wide open spaces, the blue skies, the miles and miles of endless field. But one thing I've never had access to so readily is the wide open ocean. It's hard to miss open space when you look out over that vastness. So in a way, the ocean makes me remember home. It makes me remember the sea of wheat that I grew up next to and it comforts me for a moment and reminds me that I'm not so far from home after all. 
I'm not so far from home, especially when home right now is the place I'm in with my Love. I remember the line from Fiddler On the Roof's, Anatevka, "...and there with my love, I'm home". Somehow it rings true on this small afternoon walk on the water. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...